[texhax] broken link for outocp

Gordon Haverland ghaverla at materialisations.com
Wed Apr 19 02:51:56 CEST 2017

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 16:23:35 -0600
> Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
> > Hi Tom - indeed, I have neglected to update all the omega-related
> > web pages and documentation, since I know of nothing useful to
> > point to. Patches welcome :).
> >
> >     Does anyone know of an open source program that will convert
> >     unicode to simple ascii?

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=563687

There are many ways to do what you want, and they are not all the
same.  The above note at Perl Monks (2006) discusses some of the ways
that it could be tackled in Perl.

For unicode that is like a western alphabet, ignoring diacritical marks
goes a lot of the way.  Converting the double S in German to two 's's
is sort of obvious.

I had decided on one way to do this for football (soccer) database
work, but at the moment I can't find what I decided on.  :-)  But I do
remember a couple of years ago asking Google to search for place names
in Quebec, and searching for some kind of ASCII-ized string was much
better than using unicode.  So perhaps Google has published what they
use?

Gord