[texhax] Complex rule for citations of papers with multiple authors.

Torsten Wagner torsten.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 08:37:05 CEST 2016

Hi,

without the first sentences in your post.  I would have answered.
Don't care, just finish your paper and submit it and let the publisher
people take care if they do such a non-sense. I hate that authors
waste hours over hours to press there manuscripts into a format which
was carelessly given by someone without a clue what he/she, (e.g. an
well established senior scientist in the role of being the
editor-in-chief, with outstanding scientific contribution, but yet
being barley capable to use MS Word, and lets  not tal about LaTeX
skills) is doing. Just count the enormous amount of time, scientists
waste on formatting according to stupid format rules. We might have
had a break through against a disease like AIDS or came up with cold
fusion reactor, if we simply used that accumulated time for research.
;) Thus, I say, if they don't care to make a reasonable format why
should the authors care.

Well, in your case you seem to be the person in charge (or at least
partially) and since you seems to take care by posting here you also
seems NOT to be clueless and well aware of the problem. Thus, you
might figure out a bib-style to solve your problem. However, this will
only help LaTeX users. Word and other people still waste enormous
amount of time. Why not trying to convince the people of the journal
to switch to an more standard way of  citation. One which is supported
by most programs and which can be found in many other journals.

I worked on both sides of the publishing chain and my experience is,
that very often those decisions where done without much thoughts and
if someone, esp. from the publishing side,  point to the problem
people in charge are willing to change it.

Just my 2 cents

Torsten