[texhax] Formulas not rendering on site

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon Oct 19 21:52:27 CEST 2015

A few hours ago, Bill Hammond questioned

>>     https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Texvc
>>
>> "texvc in its turn requires three additional programs, ocaml, LaTeX and
>> dvipng." ... "These programs should be downloaded manually and installed
>> under the special (not default!) names, specific for each server. In
>> particular, if one already has LaTeX installed under any other place,
>> then, by default, it will not be used and the wiki-format of the formulas
>> will not be supported."

as follows:

> It is possible to have more than one TeX installation on a given platform.

Of course.

> One needs to manage things like paths and variables. Therefore I am skeptical
> about this quoted material.

I found it strange, too. Now you make me rethink what I wrote before,
which also included

>> One may guess from this that installing LaTeX to a wrong place may break the
>> formulas, and that this actually happened.

This may have been a misinterpretation of the quoted material,
which seems to be the documentation shipped with the software.
It is more likely that the quoted words simply mean -- overlooked by myself --
that texvc/MediaWiki "by default" will not search the server for existing
LaTeX installations and adopt one of them -- it is not so much like Facebook!
The "default" may simply be "overridden" by telling texvc/MediaWiki what
existing LaTeX installation to use, maybe by setting a single variable.

Cheers,

    Uwe.