[texhax] Page layout

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon May 25 19:45:41 CEST 2015

On Monday, 2015-05-25, at 12:46 +02:00, Jerry wrote:
> I use text boxes in several of the documents I work on. I need some way of
> making sure that they are properly aligned, usually horizontally, but not
> always. At present I have to actually print them out to insure that they are
> correct. In MS Word, they is a command to put a grid on the page so that I
> can view exactly where each item is in relation to other related items. I
> realize that I can drag the item in that environment whereas I cannot do that
> in LaTeX; however, that is all right. I can manually move it as long as I
> know what has to be done.

Sorry for mistyping

    http://ctan.org/pkg/grid-system

Is its "documentation"/demo appealing?

With textpos

    http://ctan.org/pkg/textpos

you can controlling alignment by "manual" placement.
Perhaps it becomes fun after defining shorthands
for horizontal positions. pst-abspos seems to be
similar, and pst-layout might be similar to what
Thomas Schneider proposed.

Another: tabto-ltx

    http://ctan.org/pkg/tabto-ltx

I also have an idea based on something like

    \begin{tabular}{p{FW}p{FW}p{FW}

(FW for "fixed width"), or building the page with
\parbox's of the same dimensions -- while I must
obey other deadlines of my own.

What these ideas share are that you can control
placement by dimension parameters. What has been
your method so far, which appeared to you as
rather random? '\ \ \ '?

 -- Uwe