[texhax] Page layout

Gerard E. Seibert jerry at seibercom.net
Mon May 25 12:46:30 CEST 2015

On Mon, 25 May 2015 12:24:33 +0200, Uwe Lueck stated:

> at 2015-05-24 12:32 +02:00, Gerard E. Seibert wrote:
> > I am looking for a package, or method of laying out
> > a grid on a page
>
> Packages for "typesetting on a grid" I know of are
> grid, ltxgrid, gridset, and grid-system. That is,
>
>     http://ctan.org/pkg/grid
>
>     http://ctan.org/pkg/ltxgrid
>
>     http://ctan.org/pkg/gridset
>
>     http://ctan.org/pkg/grid-sytem
>
> However, we may be misunderstanding each other.
> Those packages address the requirement that the
> baselines of "ordinary" lines (not necessarily
> on a page section titles or math displays) appear
> on a grid of lines on a page that have a fixed
> vertical distance between each other and from
> the top of the paper.
>
> > so that I can be sure that everything I place on
> > the page is spaced and positioned correctly.
>
> So you seem to think that (a) "correct" placement
> and spacing requires "typesetting on a grid" and
> (b) "typesetting on a grid" ensures "correct"
> placement and spacing.
>
> (b) is clearly wrong, as controlling *vertical*
> placement of baselines has nothing to do with
> "correct" *horizontal* placement and spacing
> -- agreed?
>
> And (a) is very strict, it would mean that in
> almost all books made with LaTeX or other TeX
> formats, placement and spacing is "wrong".
> So I would not hold (a) -- do *you*?
> If not, your lines that seem to intend explaining
> "grid" do not fulfill such a purpose, and I am not
> sure what exactly you mean.
>
> Best,
>
>     Uwe

http://ctan.org/pkg/grid-sytem
                                            ^s

I use text boxes in several of the documents I work on. I need some way of
making sure that they are properly aligned, usually horizontally, but not
always. At present I have to actually print them out to insure that they are
correct. In MS Word, they is a command to put a grid on the page so that I
can view exactly where each item is in relation to other related items. I
realize that I can drag the item in that environment whereas I cannot do that
in LaTeX; however, that is all right. I can manually move it as long as I
know what has to be done.

I hope that, that explains my question.

--
Jerry