[texhax] "broken" "link"

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Wed May 20 16:11:01 CEST 2015

Some analytic philosophy only ...

at 2015-05-17 16:32 +02:00, I wrote:
> From the original posting and its attachment,
>
>     http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/2015-May/021662.html

[snip]

> "Broken links" means that hyperref link commands in some cases
> do not produce links (or they are "empty").

i.e., "the link doesn't work", but ...

> URLs are not displayed here, only the "link text",
> a bibliographic reference to a journal volume and page.

"Link" may mean ... at this point I looked at Wikipedia

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperlink

I still don't know, but search there for

    "the five main characteristics of a link"

with respect to HTML, actually.  But I believe only
three characteristics really matter, and I come back
to what I had in mind. HTML:

where I take "LABEL" from the Wikipedia article.
hyperref:

    \href{URL}{LABEL}

Sombody thought "link" refers to URL (first
"characteristic").  But when you look at the document
by a browser or viewer, you see LABEL (whose formatting
I found not so characterstic), and when you click at it,
a window to tab opens and ... yet when it doesn't, the
"link is broken"? I count as "characteric" what happens
or should happen when you click at LABEL in the document.

Sometimes, indeed, URL is used as LABEL.

In the hyperref manual, you actually find:

    \href[options]{URL}{text}

That's why I wrote "link text" instead of LABEL.

> The latter is what needs to be line-broken in some cases.

When you look at the document, you probably tend to say
that LABEL is "the link"
(rather than a hidden URL
[or only displayed as "tooltip" or in the status bar]).
When LABEL spans a line-break in a PDF, it is "broken", too!
namely, across lines.  Third "characteristic".  In the
example originally attached, LABEL is broken in two cases,
in both of them both across lnes and in that clicking at
them "doesn't work" (confusing characteristics two and three).

Cheers,

    Uwe.