[texhax] Scribus render frames

Gordon Haverland ghaverla at materialisations.com
Fri May 1 04:22:24 CEST 2015

I don't know how many of you use Scribus.  But, among the things it can
do, is to run a TeX type command (that produces PS or PDF I believe,
not DVI) to place content in a frame (they can do lilypad and some
other things too).

The default is to use pdflatex (at least on Gentoo).  It uses Computer
Modern for \rf, Helvetica for \sf and Courier for \tt.  And as near as
I can tell, there are only about another 10 or so fonts a person can
easily use, as all of these setups are done by a \usepackage{...}
string in an XML file.

If a person wanted to use a different font from the 10 or so which are
currently defined (such as mathpazo, mathptmx, bookman, ...), should a
person try to make a new package using one of those as a template?  Is
there some better way to do this?

A group I am involved with, wants to make a poster which is 1m tall,
and will have text that is probably in the 500-1000 point range (not
10, 11, 12 or so).  I have made a 16x20 inch poster with letters about
3 inches tall directly from the fonts, not via LaTeX, but for longer
text strings LaTeX does a better job that I would easily do.

Thanks.

Gord