[texhax] First reply: Forward (second email among two ones): will to buy the lastest version of TeXLive, but without two technical problems, remainder.

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Tue Mar 3 12:39:04 CET 2015

Reinhard Kotucha wrote at 2015-03-03 01:55:

> Helvetica isn't used by the LaTeX file at all but only Computer
> Modern. The message

Agreed.

>    Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-*-*-12......"

With my xdvi, they are

     Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
     Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct

> has nothing to do with the content of the DVI file. It's an X11
> related warning. I suppose that Helvetica is used for the title bar
> and/or menus.
>
> A more serious warning is
>    xdvi-xaw: Warning: Raw Postscript commands on page 2 may be ren....
>
> It would be nice to know the complete message.

Here, it is

    xdvi.bin: Warning: Raw Postscript commands on page 2 may be rendered incorrectly.

so that's all about xdvi.log.

Bill's

    xdvi partiel_algorigramme_UTF8.dvi 2>&1 | tee xdvi.log

and my earlier 3. yield non-empty xdvi.log. In order to get the third warning
into it, you must go the the second page in xdvi.

> Xdvi yields the same output as in the screen shots. However, the
> output of dvips is correct.

I see it too, and there is no Helvetica.

> Under Xubuntu, Evince can read .dvi as well.

> Uwe, does Evince display the file properly? From what you said I
> deduce that you didn't or couldn't compile the file yourself. I've
> put the files on my server:
>
> http://ms25.x64.me/partiel_algorigramme_UTF8.tar.xz

Thanks a lot, I somehow did not want to run TeX myself
(you never know how much time you need until somebody
 else's source compiles).

However, Evince shows garbage text on south-west like xdvi
(screenshots), no diagram at all. Actually, I have not been
happy with Evince as a DVI viewer. It leaves all math blank
without any log comment, and a while ago I noticed that it
showed different margins than the PDF.

Best,

    Uwe.