[texhax] First reply: Forward (second email among two ones): will to buy the lastest version of TeXLive, but without two technical problems, remainder.

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Mar 3 01:55:19 CET 2015

On 2015-03-02 at 21:38:14 +0100, Uwe Lueck wrote:

 > Dear Mister Perret,
 >
 > Yves Perret wrote at 2015-03-02 14:36:
 > > We notice that the «xdvi.log» file was not found beforehand and that
 > > after its creation, the latter is empty !.
 > >> xdvi ... | tee xdvi.log
 >
 > other list readers like Bill or you are more experienced with
 > Unixities than I am. Other possible attempts:
 >
 > 3. xdvi ... > xdvi.log 2>&1
 >
 > 4. With some Unixes -- I know it from Lubuntu, may work
 >    with Xubuntu -- you can copy text from the terminal
 >    -- mark it by the mouse, then Ctrl-Shift-C -- and
 >    paste it into the posting.
 >
 > 5. Post a screenshot of the terminal window with the xdvi run.
 >    (Some screenshotters can take the window without the rest.)

Screenshots are not very helpful.  On X11 you can copy text with the
left mouse button and paste it withe the middle button to another
program.  This is an X11 feature and should work on every Platform.
I'm not aware of Ctrl-Shift-C.  This key code might be assigned to
anything else in your window manager configuration file.

 > I doubt that I can fix the problem, other readers of the
 > list are more experienced with fonts, especially Helvetica.

Helvetica isn't used by the LaTeX file at all but only Computer
Modern.  The message

  Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-*-*-12......"

has nothing to do with the content of the DVI file.  It's an X11
related warning.  I suppose that Helvetica is used for the title bar
and/or menus.

A more serious warning is

  xdvi-xaw: Warning: Raw Postscript commands on page 2 may be ren....

It would be nice to know the complete message.

[Sigh, I had to re-type the messages.  Avoid screenshots, please!]

 > However, often they only look at the matter when a description of
 > the problem and material such as code or log output is easily
 > available from the posting.

I retrieved the LaTeX source file from this mail:

 | From: Yves Perret <yves.perret at megamail.org>
 | Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:42:28 +0200

It compiles without errors if I comment out the line

  \font\symbolesI    =fmvr8x

I obviously don't have this font installed but it's not used and not
needed in order to reproduce the problem.

Xdvi yields the same output as in the screen shots.  However, the
output of dvips is correct.  Thus I think that the DVI file is ok.

However, since both, xdvi and dvips use Ghostscript in order to render
PostScript code (maybe in a slightly different way) and pstricks
interacts directly with the PostScript interpreters, some more
investigations are necessary.  And it'seven possible that different
versions of Ghostscript behave differently.

What is needed is a ***minimal*** example.  The file
"partiel_algorigramme_UTF8.latex" contains many macro definitions
which make debugging difficult, most of them are certainly not needed.
Many fonts are loaded but only Computer Modern is used (desired?).
And I suppose that many macro packages involved are not needed to
reproduce the problem either.

Mr Perret, could you create a tiny LaTeX file which doesn't contain
anything but code necessary to reproduce the problem?  It shouldn't
load any packages, fonts, or macro definitions which are not needed to
reproduce the problem.  Furthermore, we don't need the whole diagram
but just a little part of it.  Please note that it might be necessary
to look at the PostScript code in the DVI file and investigating large
portions of PostScript code consumes too much time.  If it's at all
possible, please avoid own macros.

*** Please keep the file as small and simple as possible.  It should't
*** contain anything which is not needed to reproduce the problem.

And, of course, we need the complete message:

  xdvi-xaw: Warning: Raw Postscript commands on page 2 may be ren....

It seems that it tries to tell us something relevant.

 > Under Xubuntu, Evince can read .dvi as well.

Uwe, does Evince display the file properly?  From what you said I
deduce that you didn't or couldn't compile the file yourself.  I've
put the files on my server:

  http://ms25.x64.me/partiel_algorigramme_UTF8.tar.xz

Regards,
  Reinhard