[texhax] Having trouble with roman numerals

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Sun Jun 14 08:07:52 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-10 at 05:14:02 +0200, frank earnest wrote:

 > Hello, I'm having trouble getting the numbering
 > on the front pages to be roman numerals.
 > Here's the text:
 >
 > \documentclass[11pt,oneside,a4paper]{book}
 > \usepackage{draftwatermark}
 > \usepackage{indentfirst}
 > \begin{document}
 > \frontmatter
 > \pagenumbering{roman}
 > \title{The tale of two obscurities}
 > \author{David Niklas}
 > \date{04/22/2015}
 > %copyright{Frank Ernest 2015++}
 > \maketitle

Hi Frank,
the behavior you describe is carved into the \maketitle macro.  This
macro suppresses page numbers on the title page deliberately because
they are not desired.

You can't say \copyright{Frank Ernest 2015++} because the control
sequence \copyright isn't defined anywhere or, if it is defined, has
another meaning (it usually prints the copyright symbol).

You have two choices:

 * copy the code of \maketitle to the preamble of your document and
   adapt it to your needs.

 * avoid \maketitle and maintain the title page manually.

Which way to go depends on your experience.  If you are not familiar
with LaTeX internals I suppose that it's easier to assemble the title
page manually.

Regards,
 Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25