[texhax] Using Times New Roman

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Fri Jun 5 07:12:17 CEST 2015

Donnerstag, 04. Juni 2015 um 01:49 Uhr Michael Barr a écrit :
> When I typed "Times New Roman" into the ctan search window,
> nothing was found. Nor when I typed Times Roman.

Mainly on searching, while the results may not be more than
what you get via links that others have posted before:

Googling on a site often is better than the site's own search,
enter

    times math site:www.ctan.org

on www.google.com. You find more about Michael Spivak's
commercial

    MathTime

outside CTAN. I remember this because of his typewriter
volumes on differential geometry (amounting to something
like an orange box) and together with a paper of his where
he was near to regret having spent so many years with
developing MathTime.

CTAN doesn't have a package MathTime, but there are some
directories named mathtime and packages mathtime-ltx and
mathtime-metrics, actually the CTAN search for "mathtime"
presents them.

When you know a single package that roughly fits your needs,
such as newtx, you get a larger collection via the CTAN
topics it belongs to, here

    https://www.ctan.org/topic/font-maths

MathTime belongs to

    https://www.ctan.org/topic/font-supp-maths

which also has

    https://www.ctan.org/pkg/mt11p

a shame that the CTAN search has not shown this.

The previous ideas were inspired by other postings which
did not exactly point to Times New Roman, for the latter
enter

    times new roman site:www.ctan.org

on www.google.com -- but this seems to be especially bad.

HTH -- Uwe.