[texhax] Using Times New Roman

Juergen Fenn jfenn at gmx.net
Thu Jun 4 03:13:16 CEST 2015

Am 04.06.2015 um 02:04 schrieb Alan Litchfield <alan at alphabyte.co.nz>:

> From my experience, Times New Roman has most often been used on Apple Macs where is a default in for example, MS Word. Indeed, I have often encountered problems when exchanging files between Mac and other platforms that Times New Roman was often replaced by Times or Times Roman.

I'm afraid that was some time ago, before Microsoft replaced TNR with Cambria, already in Word 2008 which was my last version of MS Office to date. It is rather the other way round. TNR and Arial were always one of the standard fonts that came with a Windows computer (MS used to be called "a company without any taste" for that), while the Mac was shipped with the original Times and Helvetica fonts.

> In any case, can you get away with using the package times?

Probably not, because Times has thinner strokes than Times New Roman, and the times package does not provide math fonts. Use mathptmx instead.

If you require Times New Roman you should install the font (from the free MS Core fonts, e.g.) and use XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX to typeset your document with TNR. If you have not used LuaTeX before, here is how to do it:

http://dante.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/lualatex-doc.html

Regards,
Jürgen.