[texhax] Using Times New Roman

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Thu Jun 4 05:44:14 CEST 2015

 > I am publishing in a journal that requires Times New
 > Roman.

Few people can distinguish between text in Times New Roman
and text in Times. But if you really must use genuine TNR,
you need first to get the fonts. TNR is a commercial font
and can be purchased; for example:

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/mti/times-new-roman/

But this family is also available (in TrueType format) in
the freeware package of Microsoft's "core web fonts":

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mscorefonts/

Many versions of the Adobe Reader provided TMR; search on
your system for

TimesNewRoman.pfb

You then need LaTeX support files. You can use either
fontinst (see the FontInstallation document) or autoinst
(in the fontools package) to construct them. The fontforge
program can be used to convert from TrueType to Type1
format.

Then I presume you will need math fonts. The
times-compatible options include mathptmx, newtx, TM Math
and MathTime Pro:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=psfchoice

Have you considered publishing in another journal? :+)

Bob Tennent