[texhax] What happened to $TEXMF/doc/bibtex/base/bibshare ?

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Tue Sep 16 02:13:50 CEST 2014

Hello,

Somebody complained on a blog about BibTeX record keys not being enough
descriptive for his wife
(http://blog.martinfenner.org/2013/06/19/citations-in-scholarly-markdown/).

I wanted to point him to the excellent (and completely overlooked by
most) semi-standard for BibTeX keys which used to be in
$TEXMF/doc/bibtex/base/bibshare. However, I couldn’t find it anywhere on
the Web: CTAN doesn’t have it, my TeXLive on RHEL-7 doesn’t seem to have
it either. In the end I have found it an old tetex RPM package somewhere
(and immediately put on http://matej.ceplovi.cz/cizi/bibshare), but I
wonder what is the story of its evaporation, and does anybody have
current canonical location of that?

Actually, it is so good IMHO (and the only piece of advice I found on
the topic of BibTeX key design) that I would think about writing a RFC
about it. Does anybody have any experience with authoring RFCs?

Best,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

Create like it's 1790.