[texhax] whoops

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Oct 27 23:53:34 CET 2014

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> Not a good idea.  Use things as they are documented.  TeX Live is a
> complex system.  It's too easy to shoot into your own leg.  Whenever
> you change a TEXINPUTS.* variable I can guarantee you that the
> confusion outweighs the benefit.

For me, setting TEXINPUTS.XeTeX is essential; it allows me to access
images that are exchanged through Dropbox and which end up as a result
in different directories on different machines, yet the source files
must work on either.  In addition, now that I am using the
-output-directory qualifier to XeTeX in order to avoid a 50Mb PDF being
continually re-up and down-loaded by Dropbox, I also need to add that
directory to TEXINPUTS.XeTeX in order for my TeX source files to be able
to read the auxiliary files that they have created on a previous run.  I
experience no problems whatsoever -- what problems are you aware of,
Reinhard, that others (less lucky than I) have encountered ?

Philip Taylor