[texhax] controlling table locations

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu May 15 09:48:48 CEST 2014

Am Thu, 15 May 2014 00:10:15 -0400 schrieb Thomas Schneider:

>> Tom, if  you are not interested in answers, why on earth do you bother
>> us with your stupid questions?

> I'm sorry.  I am working on a paper and needed a method.  I recognize
> that the code you gave is TeX but I don't understand enough of what is
> going on at that level to decode how what you wrote works.  So I have
> a choice - to move on or to learn more TeX.  Knuth's book is daunting
> ... and it has to compete with literally 1600 papers that I ought to
> read since they are relevant to what I'm working on ...
>
> Solutions that I understand are best.
>
>    \makeatletter
>      \def\fps at table{h}
>    \makeatother

\makeatletter, \makeatother and \fps at table are latex commands. All
are defined in latex.ltx. You could replace the \def with
\renewcommand if you want a complete latex solution.

> it didn't work for me to switch the h to a p ...

As \fps at table contains the default location changing it affects only
tables which don't overwrite the location locally.

\begin{table}[h] %<--- not affected

\begin{table} %<--- affected

--
Ulrike Fischer