[texhax] Latvian Special Characters

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Mar 17 01:59:41 CET 2014

On 2014-03-16 at 19:11:28 +0100, Pascal wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > in my master thesis I need to use some special Latvian characters. Since
 > I'm writing the document in German I use the babel ngerman package in
 > the preamble.
 >
 > For most special characters that works, but I hit upon a quite specific
 > g, I could not get "diplayed" correctly so far: ģ
 >
 > The technical specifications for this letter are:
 > UTF-8: 0xC4 0xA3
 > UTF-16: 0x0123
 > C oktal dargestelltes UTF-8: \304\243
 > XML-Dezimal-Entität: ģ
 >

 > I came upon this website (http://home.lu.lv/~drikis/TeX/) which provides
 > "commands" for Latvian letters, but this g it does not work, and since I
 > do not understand Latvian, I miss the instructions on how to set up the
 > LaTeX environment in order for the "commands" to work properly.
 >
 > Here is a minimal example where the ģ is not displayed correctly:
 >
 > \documentclass{scrreprt}
 > \usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
 > \usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
 > \usepackage{lmodern}

I wrote a few lines about typesetting multilingual documents with
8-bit TeX engines.  Run

  texdoc vntex

and see the example on page 4 (Vietnamese and Russian).

I don't know whether babel supports Latvian.  But I strongly recommend
to use a Unicode-aware TeX engine (XeTeX or LuaTeX).  You don't have
to select another language or encoding. Just type ģ on your keyboard
and ģ wil appear in the PDF file.  Of course, you have to use a font
wich supports ģ.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25