[texhax] Using letter for subsection numbering but keeping section/chapter numbering

Pascal pascal.bernhard at belug.de
Thu Mar 6 10:59:14 CET 2014

Hi Susan

Am Thursday, den 06.03.2014, 10:35 +0100 schrieb Susan Dittmar:
> Pascal schrieb:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to have letters for 'numbering' my subsections, but still
> > keep the chapter-section numbering in front of it like 2.3.a SUBSECTION
> > FOO-BAR
> >
> > When I use: \renewcommand*\thesubsection{\alph{subsection}} I only get
> > the letter, but no the section/chapter numbering
>
> try
>
> \renewcommand\thesubsection{\thesection.\alph{subsection}}
>
> (I'm too lazy right now to look up what the difference is between \renewcommand
> and \renewcommand*)
>
> 	Susan

Thanks a lot, this is just the solution I was looking for.

I also do not know the difference between \renewcommand and
\renewcommand*, but I found that one while searching for a solution to
my question. I tried both and does not make a visible difference, except
in case I have overlooked something.

Update: I found this thread about the difference between the two command
versions: www.mrunix.de/forums/showthread.php?t=50680

Without the asterisk the command may contain linebreaks, otherwise it
may not

Pascal