[texhax] Flexible figure numbering

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Fri Jan 17 11:25:51 CET 2014

On Thu, January 16, 2014 12:05 pm, Dr A K Hannaby wrote:
> I have a problem with the spacing of the caption numbering in the contents
> list, when there are more than nine figures in the list.

Thank you for your query.  You are lucky the numbers weren't over
99, when they would overlap the caption text!

The layout of the list of figures (and similar) are controlled by
definitions in the document class.

There is a prepared answer to your (FA) Question at
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tocloftwrong

It does not say very much but points you to another question/answer
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tocloft

In short, the standard document classes do not expose the layout
parameters for change (but an easy \renewcommand can do the job).
Other document classes and packages provide nicer layout control.

Donald Arseneau, TRIUMF CMMS, asnd at triumf.ca