[texhax] LaTeX users mailing list

Susan Dittmar Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de
Thu Sep 12 10:17:42 CEST 2013

Shawn Wilson schrieb:
> My point was simply that when I build latex, I don't get any package manager.

You are right, and you are wrong. TeX predates all current package managers. It
comes with some (from now-a-days view) simple package management tools. (Simple
in the sense of dealing with single packages, not in the sense of
unsophisticated!) And the original tex core itself is frozen.

So now it depends on where you get what you call 'latex' (which can be various
things). The easiest - and recommended - way is using texlive which since some
years provides its package manager tlmgr. There are other distributions which
use other package managers.

Where did you get your 'latex' from? From which sources did you build it?

	Susan