[texhax] Curious: TeX and Sustainable Trail Design

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Oct 30 08:24:18 CET 2013

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>   1. They make the narrow glyphs (I, i, l) wider without inserting too
>      much white space.  Consider the word "milliliter" typeset with a
>      sans-serif font.

Something of a sweeping generalisation, surely ?!  "millilitre" typeset
in a well-designed sans font will look just fine.

>   See also
>
>   http://www.myfont.de/fonts/infos/5199-Alte-DIN-1451-Mittelschrift.html

Frank has a DIN spec named after him ?  Well-deserved fame indeed :-)

>  > Are Helvetica and Times
>  > Roman the two easiest fonts to read by touch?
>
> Definitely not.  They obviously were proposed by a Microsoft Word user

Er, would not a Microsoft Word user have proposed Arial and Times,
not Helvetica and Time ?

** Phil.