[texhax] proTeXt on Win 8.1 64 bit

Hefferon, James S. jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Sun Oct 27 15:54:08 CET 2013

I have a more than 500 page document ( http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/book.pdf ) and I am running a four year old laptop that is 32 bit.  I have a script that builds the doc twice and just ran it; it took less than 10 secs to finish.  (There are ways to speed up the process of working with LaTeX documents but I don't bother because at this point the choke point is the operator :-) ) .

No doubt a newer, faster, machine with a souped up processor would cut down that time, as would a 64bit MiKTeX.  But honestly, I'd be surprised if it mattered.

> Plus, how does the 32bit
TeXstudio interact with the 64bit MiKTeX I am in the process of
installing?

In LaTeX the parts use files for interactions.  For instance, forward references are put in a file that is generated when you run the compiler and later read by other parts.  So for instance the index sorter does not talk directly to the compiler, and another example is that the compiler does not talk directly to the compiler.  It is all done through files.  Perhaps there is some potential for the kind of interaction between components that leads to corruption but I don't see what it could be.

Jim