[texhax] typset mistranslates the anglbrackets

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Tue Mar 19 16:19:34 CET 2013

Am Dienstag, den 19.03.2013, 14:13 +0100 schrieb Uwe Lück:
> Am Montag, den 18.03.2013, 21:28 +0000 schrieb Philip TAYLOR:
> > In books on linguistics (such as Quirk), <Am.E> and <Br.E> are
> > regularly recurring terms.
>
> Do they have other math content, such as Chomsky stuff?
> Could those involved in production simply not have known
> about typographically better symbols? Couldn't the
> publishers simply have said "We don't have other angle
> brackets here"? -- TeXbook p. 427, thanks Reinhard.

While I was looking for something very different, I discovered
that in linguistics angle brackets are used for referring to
graphemes

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapheme#Notation

The English Wikipedia article only shows the "proper" angle
brackets. The German Wikipedia tells much more about notation
variants for graphemes and sequences of graphemes:

     http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphem#Schreibweise_.28Notation.29

including "acute" brackets with really acute angles.

Cheers,

    Uwe.