[texhax] typset mistranslates the anglbrackets

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Mar 18 22:08:17 CET 2013

On 2013-03-18 at 13:43:02 +0000, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

 > Michael Doob wrote:
 >
 > > This macro is available with no special packages loaded (as you
 > > might guess from the line numbers).
 >
 > With no special packages, Michael, perhaps, but with no
 > special format(s) ?  The question was about TeX, not
 > LaTeX.

Phil, if 'plain' is not mentioned explicitely, I have to assume that
it's about TeX in general, including LaTeX. ;)

Unfortunately there are no < and > glyphs in Computer Modern text
fonts (explanation in TeXbook on page 427).

Maybe this helps:

  \def\textless{$<$}
  \def\textgreater{$>$}

It's probably necessary to add some kerning.  If not, its easier to
type $>$ instead of \textgreater.

Maurice, I don't know why you need < and > in ordinary text.  These
symbols make only sense in math formulas, as far as I can see.  And
for typesetting XML or HTML typewriter fonts are preferable.

David, if you are using palatino.sty you might have noticed that
the glyphs 'D' and 'T' are broken and look very ugly at certain
resolutions.  A simple solution is to use tgpagella.sty instead.
TeX Gyre Pagella also provides _real_ small caps.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25