[texhax] Font installation

Hefferon, James S. jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Mon Mar 4 13:20:30 CET 2013

> However, I still think there's womething not right with the search
path. Though kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL gives me
/usr/local/texlive/2012/../texmf-local running updmap-sys --enable
Map=map does not list this file. mktexlsr does however. Any thoughts
would be greatly appreciated!

I believe you had an older version of TL from your distribution and then installed the latest TL, not connected to that distribution?  I did the same thing six months ago (because I couldn't figure out how to install a font so TeX would find it).  I ended with two versions of the binaries

ftpmaint at millstone:~$ find / -name updmap-sys -print
  -- bunch of 'permission denied' messages
/usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/i386-linux/updmap-sys
/usr/bin/updmap-sys
ftpmaint at millstone:~$ ls -l /usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/i386-linux/updmap-sys
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 44 Aug  7  2012 /usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/i386-linux/updmap-sys -> ../../texmf-dist/scripts/tetex/updmap-sys.sh

with the obvious resulting hilarity, which matches the behavior that you see.  The fi rst is the one that I wanted while the second is associated with the distribution.  To run the one that I want I use a full path, since I only run it once or twice a year but you might mess with PATH.

HTH,
Jim