[texhax] Font installation

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 19:34:07 CET 2013

> For the record, the very first release of TeX Live was based on teTeX
> and thus supported Unix systems only.  The second release already
> supported Windows too, providing the Windows binaries from fpTeX,
> compiled by Fabrice.
>

> Ulrike,
> updmap is as old as teTeX.  The first version did not have the
> --enable option and users had to edit the config file manually.
> A later version introduced the --enable option, but this happened
> more than a decade ago.  Unfortunately I currently don't have anything
> older than TeX Live 2003 installed, but I can at least confirm that
> the commands described above were supported ten years ago already.

Thanks Reinhard for that information.

I have now upgraded to TeXlive2012 and tried to reinstall the files
but with the same depressing result. Everything now lives in
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local. If it wasn't for the fact that I have
used these fonts before I would think there is something not right
with the files.

However, I still think there's womething not right with the search
path. Though kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL gives me
/usr/local/texlive/2012/../texmf-local running updmap-sys --enable
Map=map does not list this file. mktexlsr does however. Any thoughts
would be greatly appreciated!

/H