[texhax] Constructing a very thin space

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Jul 26 01:09:33 CEST 2013

Axel E. Retif wrote:

> Oh! Apparently it isn't ---I just tried \def\myemspace{\kern 1em}
> (without the space, that is) and it works just as with a space
> between 1em and }.
>
> I think I took the habit of putting a space from Knuth's definition
> of \thinspace:
>
> \def\thinspace{\kern .16667em }
>
> (The TeXbook, p. 352).

Odd :  DEK does it consistently in Plain.TeX, where one
might have expected him to optimise --

> \def\thinspace{\kern .16667em }
> \def\negthinspace{\kern-.16667em }
> \def\enspace{\kern.5em }

He eliminates the optional space after \def and
the macro name (which I would insert to aid legibility),
yet adds a space before the closing brace that /seems/
to serve no purpose ...

Even odder is the inconsistent spacing after \kern.

** Phil.