[texhax] dvips not reading the map file (tamil/malayalam omega)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Jan 30 02:15:40 CET 2013

On 2013-01-29 at 15:24:11 -0330, P. P. Narayanaswami wrote:

 > I am trying to install tamil Omega 1.0.2 in ubuntu 12.04 texlive system..
 > The install.sh script that comes with the package places the
 > various files in the texmf tree as follows:
 > .pfb 	/fonts/type1/tamil
 > .tfm 	/fonts/tfm/tamil
 > .sty 	/tex/lambda/tamil
 > .fd 	/tex/lambda/tamil
 > .map 	/fonts/map/dvips/tamil
 > .otp 	/omega/otp/tamil
 > .ocp 	/omega/ocp/tamil
 > And does
 > texhash
 > updmap-sys --enable Map tamil.map
 >
 > After this, the command "lamed file.tex" works fine and the .dvi
 > file is created.  But, dvips is not reading the .map files and
 > tries to make bitmaps
 > kpathsea:  Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 3+300/600 --dpi 2100

 > tmca0bps
 > mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for tmca0bps.
 > and hence no .ps output is generated.  Consequently ps2pdf command
 > also generates an empty pdf file.
 >
 > The command: kpsewhich tamil.map certainly locates the map file.
 >
 > I guess the problem is the incorrect directory where the map file is
 > placed.  What is the correct directory where the .map file should go?
 > I see the standard psfonts.map, builtin35.map etc  resides in
 > /fonts/map/dvips/updmap/
 > Where should I move the tamil.map file so that dvips can read it
 > and generate tghe .ps file, and then the ps2pdf command can
 > generate the pdf output? Will it help if I move the tamil.map here
 > and do texhash and an updmap?
 >
 > By the way, things used to work perfectly in previous versions of ubuntu
 > textlive 2007.

If your version of TeX Live is not too old then the command

  updmap-sys

creates a log file and tells you where it is.  Maybe this gives you
a hint.  Is tamil.map mentioned in the log?

updmap-sys creates files in TEXMFSYSVAR.  Maybe you accidently ran
updmap already which creates files in TEXMFVAR in your HOME directory.
The latter are used if they exist.

If there is a directory

  ~/.texlive*/texmf-var/fonts/map

, remove it and run texhash again.