[texhax] Recommended "document class" for legal documents

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Tue Jan 15 19:53:37 CET 2013

My experience with producing documents that include content produced by
lawyers is that there is no special style guide. Lawyers often have
their own preferences and will not deviate far from them. That means, if
you have to produce legal papers from a range of lawyers, you will most
likely face significant variance in how they are structured.

Additionally, once legal papers have been passed into statute or law,
you cannot change the format. For example, some time ago our government
was faced with the task of digitising all the statutes in our legal
system. Rather than scanning them all, the decision was made to produce
a print on demand system. The project failed at least two times because
of the difficulties associated with the various methods for structuring
and laying out content. The statutes were all quite inconsistent,
despite that they look the same.

I would guess, that if you are able to work within a context that is
consistent, then it may be better to make your own class file. You could
call on article and make changes to suit your needs.

Alan

--
AlphaByte
PO Box 1941, Auckland