[texhax] Footnote margin question (redux)

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Thu Dec 19 01:40:57 CET 2013

On Tue, December 17, 2013 6:13 pm, Douglas McKenna wrote:
>> I simply want to make a footnote's right margin conform to my
>> text's right margin, when that text's right margin has been
>> adjusted away from the right side of the page.

> \usepackage{changepage}

Despite the the name, the "changepage" package does not change
the page layout, but makes a list-type environment.

> \clearpage
>
> \begin{adjustwidth}{0pt}{3in}

If you are adjusting the width at a forced page break, then you
CAN really adjust the page parameters:

\clearpage
\addtolength\textwidth{-3in}
\onecolumn

Now the text and even the page headers are narrower by 3 inches.

Really it would be good if the geometry package remained active
to allow adjustment (using it's own syntax) mid-document.

> {\bf WHY??  How does one conform the footnote right margin to the 3 inch
> inset right margin that the text has??}}

There is probably some more settings that could be added to "adjustwidth"
that would propagate the indent.  I don't see the point though.

Note that a footnote that breaks and floats to the next page
will not reformat to match that page!  Using \clearpage at the
forced page breaks prevents this happening.

Donald Arseneau, TRIUMF CMMS, asnd at triumf.ca