[texhax] Symbol to number correspondence for fonts.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 16 04:17:40 CEST 2013

Some time ago I asked of this list how to produce a solid
heart suit symbol without changing the font of the whole
document.

I got several useful replies, including one from Paul Isambert
who suggested:
> A solution is to use directly the font loaded by the arev package:
>
>      \font\heartfont=favmr7y at 10pt % set your own size here
>      \newbox\heartbox \setbox\heartbox=\hbox{\heartfont\char"56}
>      \def\varheart{\leavevmode\copy\heartbox}
>
> (The box trick allows you not to bother about math mode.)
I now would like to get a solid *diamond* suit symbol as well.
Presumably the same syntax would work except that I would
have to change "56" to some other number?  What number?

I have scrounged around trying to find tables that will tell me
what number corresponds to what symbol in a given font
(particularly favmr7y) but I can't seem to find anything.

Such tables must exist, mustn't they?  Where do I look?

Thanks.

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner