[texhax] Installing texlive.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 11 07:56:36 CEST 2013

I'm running under Fedora 17.  I have recently had problems with
running latex on a file that previously (under Ubuntu) I had no
difficulty with.  (A while back I had to switch from Ubuntu to Fedora
for reasons that I won't go into here.)

I thought that perhaps I might be able to get rid of the flakiness
by re-installing texlive.

I downloaded the install-tl-unx.tar.gz tarball from

     http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire.html

unpacked, changed directories appropriately and executed

     ./install.tl

as per instructions.  I got an error message:
> Can't locate Digest/MD5.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./tlpkg
> /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5
> /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl
> /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 199.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 199.
> Compilation failed in require at ./install-tl line 53.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./install-tl line 53.

I looked at line 53 and it is opaque to me.

I presume that I need to update *something* w.r.t. perl, but it is not
at all
clear to me what I need to do.  Doing yum search perl gave a plethora of
hits; yum search perl5 basically turned up perl-pgsql_perl5.x86_64. What
has pgsql got to do with the price of eggs in China?

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to remedy the problem?

I have no idea what extra information is relevant, so I have not tried
to provide any.  If some Good Samaritan would like more information
about my set-up, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to
supply it.

I am fairly computer/Linux/LaTeX literate, but there are gaping lacunae
in my knowledge, so please be patient with me.

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner