[texhax] Don's chec{k|que}s, drawn on the Bank of San Serriffe

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Apr 5 13:46:44 CEST 2013

On Apr 5, 2013, at 5:25 AM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> I now see that there is also an island of the same name;
> I wonder which came first ?
>
> 	http://phonetic-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/a-new-sound.html

It's a bit more complicated than that.

The Island of San Seriffe has been an on-going typographical / cartographical gag for a long while now, but Dr. Knuth's founding the bank is a more recent thing, caused by people proudly posting checks (mine lives in its envelope displayed propped up by a pair of gold binder clips in my cubicle) and unscrupulous people coming along, noting the numbers and then attempting fraudulent transactions.

Anyway, check the date on the original link.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer