[texhax] Obsolete \centerline command used in amsbook class (Uwe L?ck)

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Sun Sep 23 19:36:13 CEST 2012

Well, I admit that I had confused amstex with amslatex.  I was talking of
course of the latter.

I certainly agree that redefining \newcommand is shoddy and I would never
do that.  But undefining a tex (not plaintex, but actual tex) primitive
such as \over is inexcusable.  As for the use of \def, well if there were
a procedure that had all the funcionality of \def and just gave a warning
instead of stopping on error when you had redefined something, I would
gladly use it.  I cannot imagine any other reason for deprecating \def
than that you might inadvertently redefine something that you didn't
realize.

Michael

--
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy--the search for a superior moral justification