[texhax] media9 package installation/compilation

Jonathan Skowera jonathan.skowera at math.uzh.ch
Tue Oct 16 23:20:02 CEST 2012

I cannot get the media9 package to work.

Error:
I try to compile the file test.tex:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[english]{babel}  % Rumored to be required by media9, language irrelevant
\usepackage{media9}
\begin{document}
\end{document}

using

# pdflatex test.tex

LaTeX Error: File `media9.sty' not found.

Double check:

# apt-get install texlive-latex-extra
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
texlive-latex-extra is already the newest version.

texlive-latex-extra contains media9 according to this list:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/+package/texlive-latex-extra

================
Attempted fixes:

0. Using tlmgr:

tlmgr: command not found. It looks like Ubuntu took it out?

1. Manually adding media9 package:

$ sudo -i
# kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFLOCAL
/usr/loca/share/texmf
# unzip media9.zip -d /usr/loca/share/texmf
# texhash
# pdflatex test.tex

This had no effect.

2. Unzip media9.zip from CTAN into my source folder.

Of course, now it found the style file, but it couldn't compile it. The error was:

! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \msg_error:nnn
           {media9}{support outdated}{l3kernel}\tex_endinput:D

I commented out similar lines (it looks like error handling) and produced similar errors:

! Undefined control sequence.
l.90 \pdftex_if_engine:T

etc.

Configuration:
* Ubuntu 12.04
* texlive-full

Reproduced the errors on a different version of linux with unknown tex configuration at the office. (I'm not root there)

This looks like something Google would solve in a jiffy, but I couldn't find anyone with similar problems. Much thanks to anyone who can help.