[texhax] November 2012 TUG news: conference, journals, book reviews

TeX Users Group tug-news at tug.org
Sun Nov 18 02:41:23 CET 2012

Dear TeX users,

Here in the US, we are nearing Thanksgiving, and I'd like to
take the opportunity to offer my thanks. First, to the Executive
Director of TUG, Robin Laakso, who makes sure everything runs
smoothly every day. Second, to my Executive Committee, Jim
Hefferon, Karl Berry, and Sue DeMeritt, who actually do a bunch
of my work for me (except for writing these newsletters!).
Third, to the entire Board of Directors for all their service.
And not least, to you, members of the TeX community, for making
it all possible.

Oh, one other thing I am thankful for is not having to listen to
or see any more political ads. But, while the US presidential
elections are now history, TUG will have elections in 2013.
It will be a presidential election year, and several director's
positions are also up for election. Please consider serving.

The details for the 2013 annual meeting (the 34th) are also firming up.
The venue will be the Graduate School of Mathematical Sciences,
University of Tokyo (3-8-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, JAPAN).
The dates are October 23--26, 2013. We are working on a web page
with detailed information, registration forms, and so on. I'll
let you know when it is online.

More news:
- TUGboat 33:3, the last issue of 2012, is at the printer and
   should mail within a couple weeks, production and holidays permitting.
   As always, TUGboat needs your article/review/blurb/ musing
   for the next issue. Articles on any aspect of TeX and friends are
   always welcomed. Deadline for the next issue is March 1.
   http://tug.org/TUGboat/

- The PracTeX Journal issue 2012-1 has been published and is now
   available online.
   http://tug.org/pracjourn/

- The TUG website now features two new book reviews. Just My Type:
   A book about fonts by Simon Garfield, reviewed by Dave Walden,
   http://tug.org/books/reviews/tb105reviews-garfield.html
   and PSTricks: Graphics and PostScript for TeX and LaTeX by
   Herbert Voss, reviewed by Boris Veytsman.
   http://tug.org/books/reviews/tb105reviews-voss.html

As always, happy TeXing,

Steve Peter (President) on behalf of the TUG Board
http://www.tug.org/