[texhax] Smart periods?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Nov 5 23:42:12 CET 2012

On 2012-11-05 at 13:06:12 +0000, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

 > William Adams wrote:

 > > An alternative to Barbara Beeton's suggestion of using a macro
 > > would be to attack this at the font level --- create a virtual
 > > font w/ a set of ligatures which collapse multiple bits of
 > > punctuation to a single one.

 > Unfortunately there are now TeX-based engines (such as XeTeX) that
 > do not implement virtual fonts ...

If it's supposed to work with all engines, it has to be solved in TeX.
Otherwise LuaTeX offers some opportunities.  What comes to my mind is
to redefine \section so that its argument is passed to a Lua function
and back.  Lua's string library provides powerful functions for string
manipulation, including regular expressions.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25