[texhax] using jpg files

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Thu May 31 19:09:05 CEST 2012

Walt Burkhard wrote:

> I am using TeX (not LaTeX) and need to include a few jpg files. What
> tools do we have for this?

TeX (/qua/ TeX) has no intrinsict support for graphics, Jpeg or
otherwise.  Traditionally this was circumvented by using a
TeX \special to pass information concerning the required
graphic to the DVI driver, which would then incorporate
this graphic.  Thus if you are using TeX, it is your DVI
driver documentation that you need to study in order to
find the answer to your question.

However, if you are willing to use one of the more modern
TeX derivatives (PdfTeX, XeTeX, LuaTeX, ...) you will find
that each of them provides intrinsic support for the
incorporation of graphics, and (to the best of my belief)
all support the inclusion of Jpegs.

An example, for XeTeX :

	\XeTeXpicfile Resources/Images/#1.jpg width 0,7\hsize \relax

and for PdfTeX :

	\immediate \pdfximage width 2in
{D:/TeX/Projects/Correspondence/Philip-Taylor.1.jpg}
	{\pdfrefximage \pdflastximage}

Philip Taylor