[texhax] creating pdf where you can copy and paste

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Tue May 8 19:27:27 CEST 2012

(Sorry if this is a duplicate, I lost the subject previously.)

> > I'm creating pdfs with latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf. The resulting pdf is does not
> > lend itself to copy and paste in adobe reader, so I am getting complaints
> > downstream. Is it possible to produce pdfs where copy and paste are possible?
>
> Yes. You'll need to use either pdflatex or xelatex (or lualatex) for
> best results as I understand it.

I get copy/pastable PDFs in Acrobat 8.3.1 (professional) and Adobe
Reader 9.5.1 by the latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf route.  I just checked.
I downloaded the latest Adobe Reader 10.1.3 (Mac OS X) and it worked
for cut/paste too.  I've never seen a problem with cut/paste.

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms (permanent)