[texhax] Determining the presentation package used from the pdf

Uwe Ziegenhagen ziegenhagen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 07:29:35 CET 2012

2012/3/19 Uwe Ziegenhagen <ziegenhagen at gmail.com>

> 2012/3/19 Suresh Govindachar <sgovindachar at yahoo.com>
>

>> By examining a pdf presentation, is it possible to tell which TeX package
>> (beamer, powerdot, or whatever) was used to create it?  If so, how?  If
>> not,
>> why don't creators of packages for presentation add such information into
>> the final pdf?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --Suresh
>>

> Well, unless it is a really special custom-made design, I guess one can
> spot which package had been used. Why should one want to have this
> information in the PDF? I mean, you don't write "proudly made with
> Powerpoint" in your PPTs, or?
>
> If you upload the slides somewhere we might check it out.

To aid you in finding the package check the Beamer and Powerdot
documentation:

1) Does the presentation look like one of the templates mentioned in the
manuals?

2) Do the slides feature something which would speak for one special
package (e.g. clearly recognizable PSTricks would point to Powerdot)

3) Does it have the navigation buttons from Beamer?

If a custom theme was used it may be quite difficult to tell.

Uwe

--
Uwe Ziegenhagen
<http://www.uweziegenhagen.de>