[texhax] June 2012 TUG news: TUG'12, Knuth books, TUGboat, software, Lucida

TeX Users Group tug-news at tug.org
Sun Jun 17 03:40:20 CEST 2012

Dear TeX users,

Mid-June means there's just a month left before the TUG Annual
Meeting. If you're going to be in the Boston area (or just want an
excuse to go), please plan on joining us.  We've got a wonderful program
planned.

More news:
- Donald E. Knuth reports that a new, corrected reprint of Digital
  Typography is now available. He writes, "I must say that I'm
  enormously happy to hold it in my hands, because hundreds of things
  that readers pointed out in the first printing have now been
  corrected." The best way to ensure that you get the new, corrected
  printing is to order from the publisher:
   http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/site/1575860104.shtml

- As mentioned in the last newsletter, new corrected printings of
  Computers and Typesetting are also available. Knuth writes "...the
  books themselves are significantly better in hundreds of small ways.
  I went through every page very carefully and introduced many
  refinements, which have made me extremely happy with the result. I'm
  now able to replace my personal desk copies, in which hundreds of
  handwritten notes had been scrawled since the Millennium edition came
  out, by fresh versions that are essentially perfect (as far as I
  know).  This is especially true of Volume B, because important updates
  to the TeX software that were made in 2002 and 2007 have never before
  been available in print." See the section entitled Spiffy New
  Printings at http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/abcde.html.

- TUGboat 32:1 is now publically available on the web. As always,
  TUGboat needs your article/review/blurb/ musing for the next
  issue.  Articles on any aspect of TeX and friends are always welcomed.
   http://tug.org/TUGboat/

- TeX Live '12 is now frozen (svn revision 26895). Public release should
  occur in a few weeks, with the DVD to follow soon thereafter.
   http://tug.org/texlive/pretest.html

- We are pleased to be able to offer the Lucida fonts in OpenType format.
  The Type 1 Lucida fonts are frozen and will not be developed further,
  while the OpenType fonts continue to be actively maintained and
  developed. For instance, the OpenType fonts support more languages,
  with a variety of visual improvements to their glyphs and
  spacing. Lucida OpenType is also one of the few font sets currently
  supporting OpenType mathematical typesetting, and (uniquely, to our
  knowledge) provides a bold math variant. The regular-weight Lucida
  OpenType math font includes a newly-designed script alphabet.
   http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/index.html

- As mentioned above, TUG 2012 will be held in Boston,
  Massachusetts, USA, from July 16 through July 18 at the Omni Parker
  House. The discount code for our group's hotel reservations and other
  information at the conference home page: http://tug.org/tug2012/

- Other upcoming TeX conferences in 2012:
  August 23-26 - TeXperience 2012 (Beskydy, Czech Republic)
   http://katedry.osu.cz/kma/TeXperience2012/

  October 8-12 - EuroTeX 2012 and the Sixth ConTeXt User Meeting
  (Breskens, The Netherlands)
   http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2012/

Steve Peter (President) on behalf of the TUG Board
http://www.tug.org/