[texhax] Tex Queries (3): Cases for italic correction

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Tue Jul 24 19:34:35 CEST 2012

On 07/23/2012 05:55 PM, Gordon Haverland wrote:
> I don't have anything to contribute to this person's queries, but
> reading the various responses, I think there are large parts (all?) of
> this which probably should get summarised at some point for TUG. Maybe
> for August?
Probably a good idea, since it would offer an opportunity to point out
that Italic Correction has to be specific both to the typeface and to
the individual character in that typeface.  It doesn't make sense
otherwise.  It isn't even accessible as a \fontdimen, because there is
no assurance that it will be exactly the same for all characters in the
font.

By the way, I wish DEK had included two more \fontdimens as part of the
usual set for regular book fonts.  I have to add the equivalent of
Adobe's ascender height and descender depth as additional \fontdimens to
any font I regularly use.  That is the only way to ensure that the
\strut is proportional to the specific font, with \strutheight and
\strutdepth available for line spacing adjustments in whatever leading
is in use.  Quite important for insertions of CJK characters, etc.,  in
a line of Roman type.

Pierre MacKay