[texhax] Italic correction

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Sat Jul 21 14:22:46 CEST 2012

Mea culpa. It seems that the difference I saw disappeared at a higher
magnification in yap.  I still see it at the standard magnification, nor
can I explain why \/ changes it, but it does.  It does remain that d^3
looks awful.  Now bb has raised the question of whether the d ought to be
in roman, not mit.  The face operator d is historically related (by the
Stokes theorem) to the differential d.

But as a matter of practice, it seems to me that we mathematicians have
settled on a different convention: multi-character identifiers are in
roman and single character identifiers are in mit.  This is very useful as
it means that you can instantly tell when a multi-character string is a
unit.  And much more important than whether something is a constant or
variable, a distinction that is not clearcut.  For example, it is
perfectly legitimate to say that \pi = 4 in \ell^1.

Michael

--
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy--the search for a superior moral justification