[texhax] Hyperref pointer misses the correct page

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Thu Jul 5 11:15:40 CEST 2012

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
Sorry for the HTML again, read http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/2012-July/ for .txt.

Sorry, Alan, this kind of question can only trigger the
newbie ritual of asking for a minimal example,

    http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl

where I opt for "hacking down" -- take away as much as possible
keeping the effect, and then perhaps use lorem ipsum
to replace the actual text.

It may suffice for us to see the .aux file.

I would not be surprised if it had something to do with my
\ref and \pageref tricks; so we must see whether the
phenomenon stays when you remove my macros or even
any line number stuff.

What you write reminds me of experiences when I tried to
get lineno+hyperref functionality via hyperref's usual
treatment of counters. The hyperref documentations says
something like whenever the user introduces a new kind of
"objects" in addition to `section' etc. -- say, `extra',
besides \theextra (that gets a default by the basic
`\newcounter{extra}'), hyperref needs some \theHextra
for generating the hyperlink. I tried this and, for some
time, I got a broken link to a `section' that indeed started
on a different page than where I wanted to link to.
The reason was that hyperref (with counters) internally uses
a "\@currentlabelname" that expanded to `section' because
I had failed to change this for line numbers.

hyperref indeed contains large sections to deal with
certain "objects" including footnotes, equations, and
subfigures that need a more refined treatment than the
other usual LaTeX "objects" like sections etc.

So I guess it is a problem with the setup of your new
kind of things and its counter, and it may suffice to
tell us about that (first).

Cheers,

    Uwe.