[texhax] luximono

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jul 3 23:13:39 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-03 at 15:09:57 +0000, Hefferon, James S. wrote:

 > > pass, the Ubuntu TL is very old (is it still 2009?) I just know
 > > things work with TUG TL, so I tend to recommend that one over the
 > > Ubuntu one.
 >
 > I understand your point.  But I know from past experience that if I
 > go off-package then I will start being confused by the need to
 > --force install packages that require texlive (such as AUCTeX), and
 > other hair-pulling issues.  So there is a tradeoff involved.

The TeX Live installer doesn't put anything into standard search
paths.  If you are the only user of your computer, you can set PATH,
MANPATH, and INFOPATH in $HOME/.bashrc and the Ubuntu package manager
will not notice that there is an alien TeX Live installation at all.
Of course, I don't recommend to remove the TL-2009 system provided by
Ubuntu.  It doesn't hurt.

It's quite similar to what I'm doing.  I don't have TeX in PATH at
all.  Instead there are zillions of shell scripts (TL2003, TL2004,
... TL2012) which add a particular TeX system to PATH and start a new
shell.  The Gentoo Linux package manager isn't aware of those TeX
systems and I never ran into trouble.

I suppose that "apt-get install equivs", as proposed by Lars, is only
needed if TeX Live is added to PATH globally and thus visible to the
package management system.

I don't see any reason why TeX Live from tug.org can cause any
trouble.  It doesn't touch your system unless you tell it to do so.
It's definitely worth a try.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25