[texhax] problem with MathTime Pro 2 fonts and MikTeX

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 14:39:09 CET 2012

Hello,
** Stan [2012-01-14 23:51:44 -0600]:
[Sorry, I don't have any copy of MT Pro 2 to give more helpful advice]

>>>I'm trying to install MathTime Pro 2 fonts to use with MikTeX 2.9
>>>(using WinEDT 6 under Windows 7).  I used the instructions at
>>>http://www.pctex.com/kb/56.html, but this didn't work.  I tried to
>>>typeset this with Plain TeX:

>>>\input mtp2

>>>text.

>>>\bye

>>>but got an error.  The log file's empty, but I copied/pasted the
>>>text that shows up at the bottom of the screen in WinEDT at the
>>>bottom of this message.  Has anybody had the same problem, or can
>>>anyone make sense of the errors?  I checked, and the tfm files are
>>>in my root directory.  I also checked another installation of MikTeX
>>>on a Windows XP computer, and everything works fine there even
>>>though there's no file named "mt2m.cfg" there, either.

>>>Thanks,

>>>Stan
>>Use search engines, Stan. For example, google gives me these:
>>http://sourceforge.net/projects/miktex/forums/forum/33790/topic/4387778
>>http://forums.pctex.com/viewtopic.php?t=12&sid=6c02e77729f71d0a027fcb20bad31428

> I found those pages too.  Reinstalling as suggested in the first
> page didn't fix the error I'm getting.  (Mine's similar but not
> identical to the one on the sourceforge page.)
W/o minimal example (LaTeX one would be perfect) and its log generated
by pdf[la]tex it is difficult to find the source of the problem.

>>P.S. Did you try MT Pro 2 with LaTeX?

> Yes, with no luck.

> I might have found the problem, but I still don't know how to solve
> it.  I decided to open "updmap.cfg" in a text editor, and saw that
> it doesn't have the lines from step 5 in
> http://www.pctex.com/kb/56.html.  I searched for other files with
> the same name, and found one in my "roaming" folder under "appdata".
> It was created when I did step 4.  It contains only the following
> lines:

> %% T1 font configuration settings. See the MiKTeX manual for help.
> # MathTimePro II
> Map mtpro2.map
I don't have Windows machine and MiKTeX right now at hand to check but
"roaming" directory seems ok.

> It doesn't seem to matter what directory I'm in when I run the
> initexmf line and the updmap line in steps 4 and 7.  It's not
> modifying the right copy of updmap.cfg.  (Or what I think it the
> right copy, the one under C:\Program Files (x86)\MikTeX\....)  I
> can't modify that file directly in a text editor, since I don't have
> permission to save to its location.  Making a copy of it in My
> Documents, modifying it in a text editor, and then replacing the
> original with that copy didn't work.  Do you know if that's the copy
> that needs to be changed?  I couldn't find anything in the MikTeX
> manual about it.

Try to run
C:\> initexmf --mkmaps
C:\> updmap

The first command should merge all updmap.cfg files into one, the second
command should generate file that pdflatex of dvips uses to produce pdf
or ps file.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
There never was a good war or a bad peace.
		-- B. Franklin