[texhax] Putting tex on a Mac

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Thu Feb 2 15:52:30 CET 2012

Michael Barr wrote, On 2012-02-02 15:25:
> I got the following email from a friend whom I am collaborating with.
> He has been using tex from his office and it is apparently an older
> version, or at least a not very complete.  So he decided to install it
> on his Mac. Here is his question:
>
> I have downloaded Mac-tex from ctan –actually I have it on an external
> hard drive because
> it said it would take over 24 hours to download onto my mac in my
> office. But it just sits there, I clicked
> on it and it unzipped but nothing happened. Any suggestions? I think I
> will join TUG and ask them.

That sounds like a very slow mirror, have you tried a fdifferent mirror

As for the installation see Herberts reply, on the Mac unzip the
.mpkg.zip file.

Only on Mac does this have type of 'file' have any special meaning. For
all other OS' it is just a normal folder.

Which type of Mac are we dealing with? (which OS version)

> While joining TUG is a nice idea (and he would get the tex-live disk)
> the answers he needs are available free and I recommended he ask texhax,
> then decided to post the question myself.  I have never used a Mac
> myself and have no idea how it does things.
>
> Michael

/daleif