[texhax] April 2012 TUG news: Lucida OpenType, TUGboat, bursary, conferences
TeX Users Group
tug-news at tug.org
Mon Apr 16 02:17:25 CEST 2012
Dear TeX users,
Spring has come early to many parts of North America, and as you watch
the blossoms or reach for the allergy pills, here's what's going on at
the TeX Users Group.
- We are pleased to be able to offer the Lucida fonts in OpenType
format. The Type 1 Lucida fonts are frozen and will not be
developed further, while the OpenType fonts continue to be actively
maintained and developed. For instance, the OpenType fonts support
more languages, with a variety of visual improvements to their
glyphs and spacing. Lucida OpenType is also one of the few font
sets currently supporting OpenType mathematical typesetting, and
(uniquely, to our knowledge) provides a bold math variant. The
regular-weight Lucida OpenType math font includes a newly-designed
script alphabet design.
- The latest issue of TUGboat has gone to the printer and should be in
your hands soon. As always, TUGboat needs your article/review/blurb/
musing for the next issue. Articles on any aspect of TeX and friends
are always welcomed.
- Packages for inclusion in TeX Live 2012 should be submitted to CTAN
soon. Approximate deadline for inclusion in this year's
distribution is May 10.
- The deadline for the bursary to the 2012 annual meeting is approaching.
You have until April 30 to apply.
- Speaking of which, TUG 2012 will be held in Boston, Massachusetts,
USA, from July 16 through July 18 at the Omni Parker House. The
registration form, discount code for our group's hotel reservations
and other information is at:
- GUST is celebrating 20 years with a special BachoTeX at the end of April.
- Other upcoming TeX conferences in 2012:
August 23-26 - TeXperience 2012 (Beskydy, Czech Republic)
October 8-12 - EuroTeX 2012 and the Sixth ConTeXt User Meeting
(Breskens, The Netherlands)
Steve Peter (President) on behalf of the TUG Board
More information about the texhax