[texhax] \hangindent inside vertical mode

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Thu Sep 29 05:25:02 CEST 2011

VAFA KHALIGHI <vafaklg at gmail.com> writes:

> > On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Heiko Oberdiek <
> > heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> Why do you think it does not work?
> >> Because -20pt is less than 0pt, the lines will be indented at
> >> the right side by 20pt.
> >>
> Sorry, this is what I have tried. Giving negatve dimen to \hangindent, only
> reduces the width of the vbox.

But that *IS* working!  \hangindent-x works to reduce the width of the
lines, and the enclosing box has the width of the widest thing in
the vertical list.  \hangindent does not insert a box, as \indent
does, despite the "indent" in the name.

I take it you were hoping \hangindent worked differently from \parshape,
(as used in lists) but it does not.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca