[texhax] which TeX?

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Wed Sep 21 19:55:21 CEST 2011

Doug McKenna wrote:
> William Adams wrote -
>
>> http://www.bakoma-tex.com/
>>
>> and a couple of commercial versions (which aren't on the DVD if that was
>> the intent).
>>

> I'm curious.  I couldn't tell looking at the above bakoma website, but,
> are there any TeX systems (commercial or not) that don't rely on the
> usual Knuth WEB/Pascal/Pascal2C TeX engine, but on a complete
> (compatible) rewrite in some more modern language.  I've read about Omega
> and I think another project in Java, but they seem to be in stasis.

You might want to have a look at

https://github.com/alt/tex-overview/blob/d9f27338d9c694fe14240aff150a048a086ba2ec/tex-overview.pdf?raw=true

There I have collected everything related to TeX that I could find,
including short explanations and sources where I found information.
[a short answer to your question is: ANT and HeX are written
independently from TeX, but neither of them is useable at the moment.
NTS was planned to be a TeX written in Java, but is now declared dead.
The successor of NTS, εχTeX, is in version 0.0 …]

cheers
Arno